Integrating Feldenkrais learning into everyday life
Principles of Feldenkrais Method classes and lessons to apply to all aspects of life:
Click here for a printer-friendly version of this page.
- Tune in to whatever you’re doing, through your whole self: sensations, actions, emotions, thoughts. Avoid multi-tasking as much as possible--we're just not wired for it, and there's always so much going on that deserves our full attention. Consider what meditative traditions have to say: "Don't just do something, stand there!" (or "sit there," or "walk with presence"...a silly paraphrasing, but the point is there's plenty to attend to at rest as well as in action).
- Foster an attitude of care, curiosity, and creativity about your present experience and process. Transcend the adversarial/willpower-based/
future-goal-oriented relationship with the self.
- Respond to pain with kindness, creativity, and intelligence. How can you modify what you're doing? Are you falling into the trap of doing it the same way again even though it hurts? What little pieces of movement explorations we've done might be accessed to introduce options?
- Inject curiosity into the gaps between intention and action, stimulus and reactivity. Quiet your well-honed self-judgment. Are you applying "shoulds" to yourself that are actually serving your goals? Most of them aren't.
- Experience and enjoy your pleasures as well as your pains.
- Watch out for time-travel wellness: "I just have to push through this, then I can enjoy my life, improve myself or situation, or get on to the good stuff." Each moment, each activity, right now...is a perfect time for the explorations above.
The Feldenkrais Project is a crowd-funded labor of love. If you believe, like we do, that more people doing more Feldenkrais makes the world a better place, please consider joining the Project with a recurring monthly donation. Choose between the price of a good cup of coffee and what you’d pay to attend a single Feldenkrais or other movement class.
All visitors can listen to all our primary lesson collections. That’s 52 high quality Feldenkrais class audio recordings, edited with the home user in mind.
Maintaining this site, spreading the word, and adding new content requires hundreds of hours, a part-time staff, and over $20,000 annually. Your support really matters.
With gratitude we offer additional features and content to our donors, who we call Feldenkrais Project Members or Patrons.
Join the Project as a Member
Donate $3, $6, or $9 / month
Join the Project as a Patron
Donate $21 / monthly
or $54 / quarterly
or $180 / yearly
Patrons receive all Member benefits plus at least one new lesson per month guaranteed, and more!
One-time donations are also gratefully accepted. Click here to learn how.
Don’t want benefits, but you’d like to support our free lessons in the simplest way possible? Thank you! Just use choose our Simple Donation option.
Need to cancel a recurring donation? Click here.
Get the Project Newsletter
Or click here to see all our email options, and receive our signup gift: four free lesson downloads!
“Like” or Follow the Project
We are @FeldenProject on Twitter.